Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Food and Travel

I have been to numerous places around the World. In every place I have experienced things both good and bad. I have gone zip lining in Costa Rica, hiked for 6 days and 5 nights in Peru, gotten stuck in a flea market in Hong Kong, and lost in a subway in Austria, DC, and Paris. I treasure every experience because they all made me appreciate that country even more. One of the best and worst things about visiting all these countries is eating their native cuisine. I myself am a very picky eater so I used to find it especially hard when I traveled to find places to eat. As the years went by and my travels became more exotic I experimented with food. In Hong Kong I ate shark fin soup and fried grasshoppers, in Costa Rica frog legs, and in Peru guinea pig. Some of these delicacies, like shark fin soup, were not my favorite. Others, guinea pig, were quite delicious and easily became one of my favorite dishes. Traveling is experiencing everything a country has to offer. It is opening up yourself to new experiences. Traveling gives me a joy nothing else does.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you for being so adventurous! Guinea pig? I don't think I could do it. The zip lining, yes. The guinea pig, probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aahhh, viajar es vivir. Breathing. Enjoying. Learning. Everything...

    I dedicated my 20's, since as soon as I got out of college and got paid ahead on student loans, to seeing the world. Six years later--many countries, multiple languages, and many different cuisines later--I came back to the States. I wouldn't be who I am today without all the survival techniques I learned by traveling/living/working around the globe on a budget. Nice to "read" a kindred soul. Buen viaje!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been to several countries, mostly in Europe. I travel to Mexico a lot, and everything I go to a different city. The weirdest food I have had was Ostrich meat. My teacher at that time said, "Makes you wonder what was wrong with the ostrich if its now on your dinner plate." LOL.....

    I don't think I could ever eat insects, that is just something I find extremely disgusting, but I will surely eat some French escargot :D

    ReplyDelete